Is Carbon Monoxide Deadly?
Carbon monoxide is a dangerous and poisonous by-product of the incomplete burning of household fuels like natural gas, wood and coal. In the home, it is released when boilers, ranges, heaters and furnaces malfunction. Carbon monoxide is deadly, and inhaling just a small amount of it can trigger one or more of the following symptoms:
- Mental disorientation
- Loss of muscular coordination
If inhaled in a large enough quantity (it only takes minutes), it could be ultimately fatal. Over 50 people die across the UK every year as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. Even with survivors, complications to the lung, heart and brain can mean a long and challenging recovery.
This is why you need experienced plumbers in Lewes to help ensure you are protected against carbon monoxide inhalation.
How Can You Reduce the Risk of Exposure to CO?
- Ensure your vents, chimneys and appliances are properly maintained and monitored for soot and stains
- When burning wood in a fireplace, ensure the flue is open
- Do not use non-safety certified wood-burning stoves
- Repair your heating system leaks immediately they happen
- Avoid using gas-powered machines indoors
- Ensure your heating system is cleaned and inspected every year at the barest minimum
- Don’t forget to turn off your car in the garage
- With kerosene heaters, don’t use the wrong fuel type
- Get a carbon monoxide alarm installed by Lewes carbon monoxide experts
Why Audible Carbon Monoxide Alarms Are Important?
Carbon monoxide is a silent killer associated with older and poorly maintained boilers, but, in our experience, even newer models can be culpable. Audible carbon monoxide alarms are your best solution to ensure total safety from carbon monoxide.
The nature of carbon monoxide poisoning means that it is most powerful when you are asleep. This is why the “black spot” carbon monoxide detectors are not a good option for optimum safety. These alarm types change colour when carbon monoxide is in the air but how will you see the colour change if you are not awake? This is why you should invest in audible carbon monoxide alarms in Lewes.
Even when you have audible carbon monoxide detection systems in your home, you still can’t afford to trivialise gas safety inspections. You still need to get your gas systems and appliances checked every year. In addition to a slew of other benefits, this will help significantly reduce your chance of carbon monoxide in your home.
The only way to be certain about your safety is to contact Gas Safe Registered engineers like our Lewes plumbing professionals to thoroughly inspect your gas appliances. You may be saving yourself from time spent on the hospital bed; you could be preventing a death within your property.
Contact Us Today
We are your professional Lewes plumbing experts. Give us a call today on 01273 783060 for free consultations and free quotes on your carbon monoxide inspection in Lewes, and audible carbon monoxide alarms installations. Let us keep you safe!